Spiritual Direction

Monday, October 26, 2020

If You Are Quiet You Can Hear the Leaves Fall

Reposting this is becoming an autumn tradition


If you are very quiet
you can hear 
the leaves fall,
following
their twirling, swirling dance
with your ears
as well as your eyes, 

until they come to rest
gently
at your feet.


Amidst the 
gales 
that loosen
their grip,

even amidst the 
tumult
that rages
in your mind, 

if you stop, and
if you will yourself
to listen, 

you will hear their
falling-gently-to-earth whispers, 

as they rustle through
their companions

on the once-in-a-lifetime
descent.


Background noise
fills my mind
right now...

Outer noise of destruction, 
of greed, 
of power wielded wrongly.

Inner voices of fear,
of sadness, 
of outrage, 
of powerlessness...

noise that will surely drown me 
if I let it and
render me deaf, 

even to the Good.

And yet,
in stillness,
I can notice that
which is beyond
myself
and all my thoughts.
Gazing at
the trees of autumn,
standing and swaying
in the winds
that strip their leaves,
Grace breaks through.
I am renewed.

If you are very quiet, you can hear the leaves fall. 
Listen....

4 comments:

  1. Lovely Ann. Silence here is key to mindfulness, a rinse for the imagination. A place for falling leaves, space enough for poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely set of thoughts, Stephen. Thank you. And yes, we here in the States need all the silence we can get during the next week!

      Delete
  2. So beautiful. Cathartic just reading your words and imagining being in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I'm glad you can rest in the images.

      Delete