Spiritual Direction

Sunday, July 26, 2020

On Acceptance

This post was originally written for Prayer Notes, an online publication by Oasis Ministry for Spiritual Development and will appear there in August.  https://oasismin.org/prayernotes



I have become quite fond of the green frogs who inhabit the old pond that came with the house. And the one goldfish who, along with another who is now missing, produced an uncountable number of progeny that I have no idea what to do with. I am grateful for the young flickers who poke exploratory holes in the ancient apple tree’s immature fruit and the catbirds who not-so-stealthily pilfer blueberries from bushes I put in this spring. I don’t mind the chipmunk who tunnels around the newly planted hydrangea, or even the young rabbits who feel the need to sample almost everything I’ve planted. I have a sense of belonging in their midst, they who were here long before we arrived.

But the snapping turtle was another matter. I first noticed its nostrils poking above the water’s surface one recent evening, fearful at first that some displaced sea monster had entered the pond. As it raised its head and I recognized the newcomer, I admit to being momentarily horrified even, thankfully, as a curious fascination took hold.

And so…in addition to all the creatures I have most gladly welcomed, we have this one I would not have chosen, but have come to accept as being a member of our tiny ecosystem. It is said that the contemplative life is one in which we are invited to open ourselves to what is…the reality around us as it is, what we like and don’t like, what we can and cannot change, and to live our lives from that noticing. I have been given an intimate, tangible reminder of that invitation and have found that in my responding, surprisingly, he or she has become not so objectionable after all. Thanks be to God!


3 comments:

  1. I love your respect for all living things. Our son Anthony has a bigger pond at their place in the woods, and there is at least one big snapping turtle in it, probably more. Obviously, swimming in the pond is out of the question! Our grandson loves to catch frogs with his net, hold them just a while and then put them back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie, I'm so glad to hear from you! Thanks for writing both times :) I'll send you a note via your own blog or email address. I'm so tickled you found me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I want to agree with everything you said, I have an ongoing battle with the invasive lantern flies. So far we've seen nothing but their destructiveness. Only good side is their beauty as nymphs or adults.

    ReplyDelete