Spiritual Direction

Monday, August 19, 2013

All Good Gifts


I am the gardener for a large garden, created for the benefit of school students who come on class trips to the farm where I work and live. The farm is a patchwork of woodlands, wetlands and open fields and sits along the banks of the Potomac River. As a result, I am richly blessed with the daily sightings bald eagles, ospreys, red shouldered hawks and the many non-raptors who make this place their home. And I am filled with gratitude for the land's bounty as I labor in the garden beds, harvesting for my husband and myself, and for others, while at the same time planting to support the many pollinators who live in and bless the garden with their presence. 

In the days to come I will be writing about my journeying towards a mindful life, marked by love for God and for a simplicity that allows me to hear His voice.  For this opening post, however, I'll just set down this song from the old movie Godspell that has been circling through my mind as I worked and walked today.  The words seem a fitting beginning for a series of writings about a life of many earthy blessings.



All Good Gifts

We plow the fields and scatter the good seed on the land.
But it is fed and watered by God's almighty hand.
He sends us snow in winter, the warmth to swell the grain.
The breezes and the sunshine, and soft refreshing rains.

We thank Thee, then, O Father, for all things bright and good.
The seed time and the harvest, our life, our health, our food.
No gifts have we to offer for all Thy love imparts,
But that which Thou desirest, our humble, thankful hearts.

All good gifts around us,
Are sent from Heaven above.
Then, thank the Lord, thank the Lord,
For all His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment